Colchester Zoo's mission is to:
Provide a first class experience for all its visitors and at the same time further understanding and respect for animals. Through visitors' funds, Colchester Zoo undertakes breeding programmes for endangered species and funds in situ projects in the wild.
Colchester Zoo pursues this mission by:
- Enabling our visitors to experience a stimulating and enjoyable day out that is excellent value for money and time
- Keeping animals in modern, naturalistic enclosures in accordance with best practice
- Participating in co-ordinated breeding programmes
- Giving priority to species that are threatened in the wild
- Increasing public understanding of species and their welfare
- Increasing understanding of the issues involved in conservation and the breeding of endangered species
- Supporting field conservation programmes in the wild, through Colchester Zoo's Action for the Wild
- Developing its role as a centre for research
- Promoting care for the environment through education and leading by example
- Maintaining and developing an education programme from pre-school to degree level
- Playing a significant role nationally and internationally to conserve endangered species and improve standards of animal welfare.