We are an employer required by law to carry out Gender Pay Reporting under the Equality Act 2010 (Gender Pay Gap Information) Regulations 2017.
This involves carrying out six calculations that show the difference between the average earnings of men and women in our organisation.
We operate in a business which is seasonal and employs many young people in the summer months.
Our calculations reveal that we employ many more females than males. Whilst we can confidently say that men and women have equal pay for equal work at Colchester Zoo, we recognise the need for action in eliminating the gender pay gap.
Our gender pay gap is a result of twice the number of females employed in the summer seasonal trade in the lower and middle quartile and a significant number of skilled construction full time workers in our maintenance crew in the upper quartile.
We are currently working on various strategies to address the gender pay gap both in the short and medium term.
Below outlines the figures as at April 2022;
- The mean gender pay gap is 11%
- The median gender pay gap is 5%
- The mean bonus gender pay gap is 0%
- The median bonus gender pay gap is 0%
- The proportion of males receiving a bonus is 0%
- The proportion of females receiving a bonus is 0%
- The proportion of males and females in each quartile pay band are demonstrated in the graphs below: