Getting to Colchester Zoo
Please note that on your journey to Colchester Zoo you may be required to follow a diversion route due to carriage widening road works taking place on the Western Approach by Sainsbury’s Stanway. These road works are expected to remain until 2nd October 2021.
As a result traffic may be high in this area and delays are likely so we advise you to allow some extra time on your journey or plan an alternative route to ensure you arrive on time for your entry time slot at the Zoo.
An alternative route is available via Western Approach, London Road, Tollgate Roundabout, Essex Yeomanry Way, Halstead Road Roundabout, A1124 Halstead Road, A12 Slip From Stanway, A12 Slip To Stanway, Essex Yeomanry Way and vice versa.
To view the map and plan your journey please click here.
Set your Sat Nav for CO3 0SL
How to get here by Car:
- Colchester Zoo is located just south of Colchester. Take the A1124 exit (Junction 26) off the main A12 following the brown elephant signs and using the new Stanway Western Bypass.
- From the M25: About 40 minutes from Junction 28 of the M25 to reach the A12
- From Southend: About 1 hour’s journey, 40 miles using A127 and A130 to reach the A12
- From Hertfordshire: About 1 hour’s journey – 50 miles using A414 or A120 to reach the A12
- From Stansted Airport: About 50 mins journey, 30 miles using A120 to reach the A12. For car hire from Stansted Airport www.budget-stansted.com
- Colchester Zoo is situated on Maldon Road in Stanway.
- Car parking is free and disabled car parking spaces are available close to the zoo entrance. NB Blue badges must be displayed to use the disabled parking area
Please note that there are cycle racks provided at the top of the car parks, close to the Zoo entrance.
Colchester Main Train Station can be reached from Liverpool Street services from London within in an hour or is easily reached along the Lowestoft or Norwich networks to Ipswich and then on to Colchester. Colchester Zoo is just 10 minutes by taxi or can be reached by bus. See details below.
Main Bus Services
All bus services to Colchester Bus Station regularly connect with the number 75 for Maldon or Tiptree and Colchester Zoo.
Please click here to view details of the number 75 bus timetable on the FirstGroup website.
Please click here to visit the FirstGroup website to check ticket fares.
NORTH STATION TO COLCHESTER ZOO
After alighting from the Train, leave via the exit on platform 4, turn left and walk to the main road at the bottom. On your right are some traffic lights, which you should use to cross to the layby bus stop on the opposite side of the road. Use service numbers 63 or 84 and alight in the main bus station (approx 10 minute journey), ask the driver if you are unsure, you will then need to catch the number 75 bus service to Colchester Zoo. You can also travel to the town centre via other services such as the number 8 or 61, you will then have a short walk to the bus station to travel on to Colchester Zoo on the number 75.